Healthy gums are great for more than just your appearance. It’s great for your health! Gum disease is starting to become more and more common, according to Medicine Net, 47% of the population is diagnosed with periodontitis. Many people do not know that gum disease can eventually lead to strokes, diabetes, heart disease, and more. To avoid this, you have to achieve healthy gums and keep them healthy!
Signs of Gum Disease
Try starting with the state of your gums. If you think you are suffering from gum disease you should visit your local dentist. Common signs of gum disease to look for include:
- Constant bad taste or breath
- Separating or loose permanent teeth
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth or at the gumline
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that have been pulled away from your teeth
How To Achieve Healthy Gums and Keep Them Healthy
In order to achieve healthy gums, you need to be practicing good oral hygiene. Practice the following steps to achieve and keep healthy gums:
- Remember to brush your teeth twice a day. You hear this every day when you’re a kid, but maybe you never heard why it’s important. To remove bacteria and build-up, brush with fluoride toothpaste and remember to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months for the best results.
- Floss and use fluoride mouthwash every day. For best results, floss at night before you brush your teeth. Floss removes build-up and plaque that is in between your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Change up your diet. If you’re a coffee or tea drinker, try to avoid added sugar and substitute your normal drinks for black coffee and green teas for best practices. High fibered fruits, vegetables, and dairy products can improve your overall oral health. Try to avoid carbonated drinks, alcohol, sticky candies, and starchy food.
- Prioritize your regular dentist visits. Professional cleaning is the only way to remove tartar from your teeth. The dentist can also tell early signs of gingivitis and provide you with the best course of action.
Contact Your Dentist
If you’re worried about the state of your gums, call your local dentist to set up an appointment. Your dentist will be able to access your gum’s current state and give you advice that is best for you. Mountain Shadows Dental is currently accepting new patients. Schedule an appointment online today!